Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Airplane (and conference) knitting

I just got back from Minneapolis - the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, put on by the Anita Borg Institute.  It's a really neat conference - the part that I like best (but also find the most exhausting) is meeting talented women in the industry.  I met a bunch of PhD candidates, some undergrads, and some professional women in the industry.  Not all were software developers, the audience has expanded to just about all women working in the computer industry - from hardware to marketing.  If you have a chance to go sometime, you should go.  Aside from the content of the trip itself, one of the fringe benefits is airplane knitting (and conference knitting).

I finished these construction paper socks just before I left and wore them on the plane.  I'm so pleased that the stripes match pretty well.
construction paper socks

This was my non-kindle airplane knitting.  I got through the page of instructions I was on, but there are still a few more to go.  I'm at a point in the knitting where it seems not surprising what the next row is, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what the next row is.
That scarf

During the conference itself, I got these green socks mostly finished and wrapped them up once I got home.  I still feel like the only thing they have going for them is that they are functional as socks.

Vanilla Latte Sock

1 comment:

Lisa Ikegami said...

The only thing better than those construction paper socks is the fact that the conference was put on by a lady whose last name is Borg. :)