Sunday, August 09, 2015

Bootstrapping

Two things.  OK

1.  I have been sewing a lot of hexagons.  I sat down with a 10 year old friend and did some math.  To get a 56" square quilt (10 year old by 10 year old sized), I'll need a stultifying number of gray hexagons.  And something like a countably infinite number of print hexagons (not-gray).   So, they were starting to get a little unwieldy.  It was getting a little risky to reach into the stack to try to find the one with the needle left in it.

Here's the pattern I'm working toward.  I'm calling it "hydrocarbon" in my head.  It is easier to see in a direct overhead shot.

The Hexie Plan?

2.  I bought a lot of 36 zippers on eBay.  They were 99 cents but the shipping was $12.  (it is OK to laugh at me.)  It was unnecessarily fast shipping.   They are mostly nylon sport-type zippers, tending towards the 7 and 9" size range.

I did what any sane person would do.  OK.  I did what any person with 36 zippers and 1/2 a square yard of hexagons and a bunch of unearthed stash and scrap fabric would do.  I started saving zipper pouch tutorials on pinterest and sewed some.  That is where the bootstrapping in the title comes in.  I don't know what it is called otherwise to use your hobby to make tools to use while you do your hobby.

Here's the first.  A Noodlehead Open Wide Zippered Pouch  Made more from the steps than the measurements.  The fabric on the zipper tab is on the inside.  This one holds the finished hexies.

New Big Mouth Pouch

Here's the second.  It is from a box pouch tutorial  Again.  More from the steps than the measurements.  It is clever.  I wanted the edges to be finished on the inside.  I need to think about that.  French seams where possible and maybe binding tape on the edges where it is not.  This one has the thread, scissors, paper templates and unsewed hexagons and the last finished hexie with the needle stuck in it.


New Box pouch


No comments: