Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Gull Wing Wrap

Gull Wing Wrap

I finished this!  This was sort of an experiment, just to see what would happen.  The plan was:  knit til I run out of yarn, then figure out what's next.  I think I was looking for a lace pattern for something else and decided to try it.

The cream colored yarn is a fingering weight merino, the green is Rowan Wool Cotton, approximately the same weight.  I knit this using a size 7 needle, and the lace pattern is the gull lace from February Baby Sweater.  I got the source from the Barbara Walker's 1st treasury of knitting patterns.

This is what I did:
CO 19  [It would make sense to knit a row and then start the rest of it.]
[ws]K2 place marker P7 pm K1 pm P7 pm K2  (there is a two stitch garter edge, the center stitch is a garter stitch)
[rs-1] K2 YO [K1 K2tog YO K1YO SSK K1] K1 [K1 K2tog YO K1 YO SSK K1] YO K2 where the brackets are the repeat.
[ws] K2 purl to center stitch K1 purl to last two, K2 - this is for all WS rows
[rs] K2 YO K1 YO [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] K1 [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] YO K1 YO K2
[ws]
[rs]K2 K1 YO K1 YO K1 [K1 K2tog YO K1YO SSK K1] K1 [K1 K2tog YO K1 YO SSK K1] K1 YO K1 YO K1 K2
[ws]
[rs]K2 YO K5 YO [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] K1 [K2tog YO K3 YO SSK] YO K5 YO K2
[ws]
So then start back at [rs-1]. 

When I didn't have enough cream colored yarn to complete a row, I knit 2 rows with the green and then bound off.  I bathed it and blocked it gently and the lace really opened up.  Now I just need cold weather.  Here it is on Ravelry.

Gull Wing Wrap - Detail

No comments: