Sunday, June 01, 2014

Whoopie Pies! (the recipe)

The thing that I would always bring to school for class parties was Whoopie Pies.  When my third grade class made a recipe book, what did I contribute?  Whoopie pies.  (I left out the 4 c. of flour).  For my birthday, I decided to make whoopie pies for the cake.

I have the recipe saved in a text file on my computer.  The time stamp is 12/31/1992.  I graduated from college in 1994.  I wrote "an app" (except for then it was called "a program" because it ran in DOS.)  for recipes - I don't remember why, I think I just wanted one and to see if I could do it.  I had a menu system and categories and the recipes were all saved out in text files where the first letter of the file name matched the letter of the category.  It was pretty awesome.

The recipe itself is pretty terse, and if you didn't grow up cooking your grandmother's recipes, there are some challenges.  Here it is in modern form, for future reference.  

Whoopie Pies (the recipe my mom uses)

1 c. vegetable shortening or margarine
2 c. sugar
2 eggs & 2 yolks
1 c. sour milk (1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar and milk to make 1 cup)
1 c. hot water
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 c. flour
1 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Combine dry ingredients on a piece of waxed paper or in a mixing bowl - baking soda, baking powder, flour, cocoa, salt.  Cream together the shortening/margarine, sugar and eggs.  Add the milk and water, stir to combine.  Then gradually mix in the dry ingredients.  Once they are combined, add the vanilla.
Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

Filling

2 egg whites (do not beat) (you can use powdered egg whites, following directions on the label)
1 tsp vanilla
4 tsp flour
2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. margarine

Now beat; then add 1 (1 lb) box of confectioner's sugar.  Spread
on bottom of cookie and place bottom of another on top.

makes 40-50 pies

No comments: